This can happen to any of us. It doesn’t matter how we get into a situation where we have a roommate. It’s how we prepare for the worst and if we discover the roommate it crazy (not the good kind) or evil than we need to integrate solutions that may require some well…balls. It’s all worth it to fix this situation because crazy or evil people can have an effect on your life and, “just keeping to yourself,” never works and only fuels their fire to come up with ideas to make you want to be homeless. Typical reasons we are having a room mate: our first room-mate experience away at college, after college, renting a room, or simply moving in with a friend, and the dreaded blind date version of the roommate. If you don’t execute these tips and instructions while moving in with someone you haven never met or only spoken to over the phone, or by email you’re a moron or have some unfulfilled need to punish yourself.
Mr. Deadbolt Is Your Best Friend.
You lost your new sunglasses and can’t find them anywhere. You almost always suspect your roommate or the roommates friends especially if you don’t get along. Two weeks later you find the glasses. You can avoid this situation and speculation by Dead bolting your door.
While your gone drunk people or strangers cannot go inside while or if your roommate leaves the room or runs to get something from the grocery store.
Your overall stress level is down in a way you never expected.
Really ask your dad or male family member for help if you are clueless and only if you TRUST them, and are HANDY. If not then forget them.
1.Go to the landlord before you agree to move in and ask about this and what you would have to pay to do it after you left or….
2.Don’t and tell your roommate you did and worry about it at the end of your stay making sure you put the door in its original condition before you leave.
I suggest number two because you might get a weird landlord who either says no or tells your roommate because of no reason at all except they feel like it. It would just avoid a lot of possible infractions by waiting. DON’T MOVE WITHOUT PAYING FOR THE DOOR! Crazy roommates love reasons to make something out of nothing and this door will haunt you if you don’t fix it back the way it came.
3. Take a picture of the knob, call the place anonymously asking for the door knob measurements, or go to the place and see if you can spot a maintenance guy and ask him. EVEN BETTER ask your current maintenance man what he suggests, go to LINKEDIN and search for a maintenance firm and go From there, Google it.
4. Keep the receipt if it doesn’t work and keep going.
2 new from $89.92
5. Find a handy man who looks like the Cleavers hire him and pay a lot for him if you have to. This is the best investment of your current life if you are going to have a roommate. Handy man-try to make your friend without being to flirty, keep his business card, offer to tip him if he does this or that.
6. Keys’-one for you on your key chain with or without a camera. One copy for a trusted relative far away who knows the deal. One in your lock box and one extra in the lock box reserved. You keys with your care key attached to it should always stay with you.
7. BUY AN EXTRA CAR KEY TO HANG UP IN THE KITCHEN WITHOUT YOUR DEADBOLT KEY ATTACHED. WHY? If you ever have someone move your car or someone offers and you tired you will let them. Keep that key up there by keeping it attached to a plastic key ring edition on your other keys and snapping it off at night.
RECOMMENDATIONS AND PRODUCTS THROUGOUT THE ARTICLE HAVE BEEN USED MYSELF AND REVIEWED. IMAGES ARE NOT MIND THE SOURCE IS AT THE CONNECTED LINK TO IMAGE.
Available from these sellerby Audiovox
1 new from $57.19
EXCUSES FOR THE DOOR OR MAKE ONE UP ITS NOT THAT HARD.
“Oh my God why are you getting a dead bolt put on I don’t steal. Your weird.” your roommate says as your handy man that your hired installs the dead bolt to your door. You talked to the landlord and as long as you replace the knob – your handy man is you made a deal with him.
“My dad told me he would pay me 200 dollars every six months if I did it and took a picture and this guy (handy man) was hired by my dad. He is paranoid because my uncle (his brother) used to be a cop and he thinks if I have a dead bolt some murderer can get in. It’s weird I know and lamb but I would almost do it to stop hearing about it without the money.
8. EXTRA EVERYTHING HIDDEN IN A BOX WITH LOCK.
EXTRA DRINKS IN CLOSET.
LIVING ROOM BASET: PUT A BASKET IN THE LIVING ROOM AND TELL YOUR ROOMMATE IF THERE IS EVER A TIME YOU ACCIDENTLY Leave SOME ITEMS IN THERE TO TOSS THEM IN THE BASKET. THE BASKET WILL BE IN THE LIVING ROOM IN AREA OF YOUR CHOICE. SAY TO YOUR ROOMMATE THAT YOU HAVE TWO EXTRA (THE BASKETS WERE ON SALE) SO SHE CAN HAVE ONE TO DO THE SAME OR USE IT TO DO WHAT SHE WANTS WITH IT.
BASKET: Should have handles and look like a laundry basket. If she wants a deco style get wicker.
- 8 Sure Fire Way’s To Avoid or Cure The Roommate From Hell. (kellyspeechless.wordpress.com)
- Dividing Up Chores With Your Roommates (apartmentguide.com)
- How to Find Your Roommate Soulmate (apartmentguide.com)
- College Roommates: The Basics (bigfuture.collegeboard.org)
- I Was The Worst Roommate (ucsc.uloop.com)
- How to Plan Great Meals with Your Roommate (apartmentguide.com)
- Three Roommates. Four Years. (ovsjournalists.wordpress.com)
- 3 Issues You Must Discuss With Your New Roommate (hbculifestyle.com)
- The Ten Commandments of Being a Good Roommate (collegecandy.com)